Monday, July 28, 2008

did i tell you?

I can sew. I taught myself to sew when I was about 6 with a little mini Kenmore my mom bought.
I went through stages of sewing, not sewing, patience and no patience. I don't like to be "expected to sew"...but I do love to sew. I just get overwhelmed with the ideas which swarm my head. My mom used to tell me, "it's a sign of a true artist." I don't know, I always thought it a sign of a crazy person. A person who can't sleep at night because things race around in her head , yet never escape to become proof. I used to sew in the 80's...Punk Rock...I would whip together outfits and 4 panel crazy-like Hammer pants for my friends...alter dresses, make skirts with tons of fringe and elastic waist bands. I was Punk RAWWWK! In College I needed extra money so I hemmed things...easy things, then someone requested some curtains (probably what made me hate sewing) but they came out ok. I made fabric leg warmers and thigh highs with huge industrial eyelets on the sides and little skirts to match. I crocheted Reggae hats for friends and made Tams for the bald hippies (they were reversible) and I sold them for $5 in the commons. I paid my 100$ rent doing that.
Now I have slowly started to sew again, but once again I am finding it overwhelming. I need to have patience. Things don't go away. I can start and stop and pick up later. I see things I want to make...I don't have time now, but I will, I promise myself. I read the sewing blogs and people whip out all types of things in what seems like 24 hours. I can't even get the fabric laid out in that time. It's ok...I can sew....and it won't go out of style.

4 comments:

lapetitemort73 said...

I know how you are feeling. Why aren't there more hours?

You sew such groovy things though! ~is jealous~

j

Mint Julep said...

My mother-in-law bought me a sewing machine for x-mas a couple of years ago(I requested it)and I had never touched one in my life. I loved it! I made some curtains, pillows, duvets, bags and then I just stopped. It's been over a year and I haven't done a thing.

It's time. Thanks for the reminder!

k said...

I was actually in a fabric store the other day - looking a simple wedding dresses and other useless items to make. Instead of purchasing fabric and a pattern - I went home and told my 23 year old she should learn to sew - I have an extra Kenmore she is more than welcome to. Buy the Quick & Easy patterns - I mentioned - and you will be a seamstress before you know it. She went home and that old Kenmore is still in my closet. K

Vain and Vapid said...

Yes absolutely, it takes patience and practice but I think the best way to learn to to make things and maybe make mistakes along the way but eventually you'll get better and better. Plus, if you can crochet, you must have enough patience to sew.