Thursday, October 2, 2008

Pissing off the Parents


picture from "spot rehab"
doesn't that swing look fun?

Yeah, I know I'm too vocal. Many people don't believe the same way I do...That is fine with me...Maybe I'm a "special needs" type person.

This morning a friend asked me how my Preschool Clinical went...It was fine, for the most part. The school was really cool. It was set up 50 years ago for children who had no other means of education except institutionally. Children who were out of the "norm" back then. This school even had a flippin swimming pool for the preschoolers to do swimming integration. Great therapy pool for the handicapped kids. That part was really neat.

My problem is the actual "labeling" of kids. Don't you think, although not very cost effective, all little kids should get pool therapy? All little kids would benefit from preschool and integrating with all types of kids? Preschoolers are so "untouched" at that point they are like sponges!
The kids I worked with yesterday were a variety...The ones I could not quite get a grasp of were the "sensory delayed kids".....
These are kids who have no cognitive issues but don't care for loud noises and textures. Here's my thing...the classes were 1/3 dev. delayed kids, 1/3 "normal", and 1/3 dx of ADD, Sensory, ADHD whatever...but the big thing to me was that they were preschool age? Really? Looked a lot like parenting issues to me. I didn't say that...i just questioned and stated that I thought ALL preschool/elementary kids would benefit from this type of schooling and the OT( occupational therapist) went into this diatribe how these kids are "specially funded" to get this "treatment"...and once again I stated, yea, I understand, but wouldn't be awesome to have this integrated into school day activities? And she flipped and said this is why we need OT's we can't just train regular teachers to do this type of work!!!.. (look lady, I'm not trying to downplay your job...or elliminate it!)
Really? All it is is obstacle courses, bubble blowing and wobble boards...just seems to me any 3 year old would benefit from it.
whatever...
I don't believe in these over diagnosed cases of ADD ,ADHD, Sensory deprivation...not for 3 year olds ( I tell you what, when you see a kid with true ADHD or Autism, it's a bunch different than the hyper kid with the parent saying "calm down, calm down")...it they are 17 and can't stand the seams on their socks and the sound of clocks ticking that is a different issue.

Ilin, my kid, now 11, would never dance with the other preschoolers at the library "sing and dance" stuff. He would sit in a corner and put his fingers in his ears...same with singing happy bday, that had to be the worst part of his yearly birthday experience...also hated to Swing or any wierd movements, no carousels, no Disney World, nada....doesn't like his food to mix on his plate...but did I go and get special funding? Did I put him in a school with a "label" at age 3?
NO...I just said, hey Ilin, that's cool, you don't have to ride on the merry go round, it is a bit freaky...and if you don't want to do the Hokie Pokie...I don't blame ya. I just ask that you please stop rolling those damn hotwheels back and forth, back and forth, back and forth...because it's making ME crazy. The kid is gifted now. Highest placement in his class one of the highest in the state. He rides a skateboard, he snowboards and he still hates to sing and dance but does play the guitar and Bass (upright) and has quite the ear for music. He has a shitload of friends. What if I had labeled him...put him in Special Needs classes? Would it be the same? I don't think so.

We have enough labels in our society. Why start at preschool? Why not let the kids develop at their own pace with the guidance and HELP from adults? Even dev. delayed kids like to hang with the average kids. We try to get them "out" of the labeling situation, yet as parents we want to find a reason or diagnosis for any goofy thing our kid's do. They are kids...They are ODD. Especially when you can't "control" their little peronalities anymore. What really sucks? Is when your kid gets a true illness...Leukemia? Down's? Head Injury? kind of makes not wanting to hear loud sounds and change your clothes 3 times a day a little trivial...doesn't it?

I'm sorry if I offend anyone...well not really. It is America and if you are reading this I have probably all ready offended you by saying I'm voting for Peace...or that I don't think you need a degree to fix trucks and do electrical wiring...or that I like Ted Nuggent but am a Vegetarian
write ya later
m

5 comments:

Lapetitemort said...

May I say "Amen" to that? This is why we are friends, we think the same way. My cousin, godchild, was labeled when she was younger, ADHD, and other initials that I have no clue what they mean. However, my aunt decided that she would do quite fine in regular schools. Granted at 21, she's still odd or I prefer eccentric, but she's perfectly find and graduating college and super gifted in art.

j

k said...

We had a brother who in the early 60's was labeled "Retarded". Told our mom to put him in an institutional type school to learn - if he could learn. Our mother refused and told them they were "Retarded". He grew up just fine. A Learning Disability is what they call it now. Boy he sure could work with his hands and fix anything. Also had a heart as big as a giant beach ball. He just needed love and understanding to help him learn to his abilities. All children should be so lucky.

spiffydoug said...

Everyone needs to ride the short bus once in their lives

Baking With Plath said...

I totally agree!

Anonymous said...

Welcome to my world! Kids are never labeled for positive reasons. Even the label of "gifted" means you are not normal. I am now starting my 4th week in a headstart classroom. Things in our class that are labled include the areas of play and their contents, i.e. Block Area, Dramatic Play, Art Area. Children use labes to sort and identify objects and areas, not other children. Why should adults? Kids are kids. What is good for one may not fit for another, but they should not be deprived or separated from it.
My favorite way kids identify differences in each other is with flavors, the chocolates and vanillas. There has yet to be a flavor with nuts. I am just rambling on myself. I am so proud of all you have accomplished. I know you are busy but please take the time to call so I know you are ok. Love, Princess Titsy