Tuesday, April 21, 2009

You don't know Torture

Until you sit thru a 6-8th grade Orchestra event. Ilin plays the Bass (stand up) in the Orchestra. Last night was his end of year event. We needed to be there at 630 for "tuning" (like it matters). My day yesterday was beyond full, besides the fact I was feeling under the weather with a sore throat. I got up at 515am, got ready, got the kids up, took Olive to daycare, then Ilin to school,(he had to bring his bass from home, so normal walking to school was out)me to work, leave work at 340 to get to school by 4, take huge horrible Patho test, then get home. As I walk in the door at 605 pm Ilin is standing there, waiting like preteens do, somewhat under foot. Olive is yelling, "Woohoo...yeah Mammoos home...what's for dinner? Can we go out to dinner? Please, Please ...PLEAAAAAAAAAAASE?" Then Ilin says, "Where is my black button down? I can't find it ANYWHERE". HMMMMM? You mean MY black button down? "Yeah, Mom, the one I always wear." So I rummage through dirty hampers, closets, glance at clock realize we have 7 minutes to get there and no one has eaten. I don't know where it is.(later figured out it was at his dad's) So I pull a size 7 out of the closet, roll up the sleeves and off we go, dragging the largest instrument a child can pick, short of the piano and a thin 6th grader crammed into a shirt that hasn't fit him since 3rd grade.
Once we get there, Bobby and Olive walk to the Subworks to get dinner, Bobby cannot stand listening to the school music, and I wait, or better yet, am held prisoner while the music begins. The school does this horrible thing where they set it up so that the 6th graders play first then we are stuck there for the hour and a half listening to the 7th and 8th graders. They aren't allowed to leave which in turn means the parents can't leave.

I know what you are thinking. I should be enjoying this time, my son's musical event...but it hell on your ears. Imagine 200 stringed instruments tuned by 6th graders, add screaming babies, hot sweaty gym, and uncomfortable seating, and then you tell me to enjoy.

By the time it was over I was ready to die. Literally die.
this is another reason to not have kids...
or for some of you another thing to look forward to.

oh my aching ears.

No comments: