Friday, July 10, 2009

center for balance


The other night I made time for myself to go to yoga. I had missed my running due to my orientation at the new job and felt like I owed it to myself, and to Synda, to show up to something...
It was in an adorable tiny studio in Loveland and we attended the "candlelight" class. It was dark and I had no idea what I was doing. I have previously been going to the Hot Yoga classes which Synda used to teach. It's similar to Military Yoga and would kill a frail person if not knowing what to expect. Candle light yoga is more similar to flow...but it doesn't really flow if you don't know the names of the positions and have to crane your neck to figure which direction your butt is supossed to be facing.
As we worked through the class I felt confused and couldn't hold a pose. I knew it was because I was not thinking about my body I was thinking about what comes next.

As we walked home, Synda commented on how strong I am. Yes, I'm strong. But it doesn't do any good until you can use your strength.
I have no balance.
I know I have no balance in my life right now.
The lady who was with us made a fabulous comparison for me, and it really hit home.
She said," It's like a potter's wheel and clay...once you let your mind go and know your center the clay just lines right up with your body."
You have to know your center, you must have balance in your life, you must let your heart line up.
Maybe this is why I needed to go to that candlelight yoga.
center

5 comments:

Lapetitemort said...

What new job?!

I am just like you, no balance. Explains why when I tried to do pottery when I was younger all my bowls were whopped.

Amanda said...

Isn't that true? Out of balance in life=difficult to progress and center. Great post and it will have me thinking all day onit!

v8grrl said...

thanks you guys...
your bowls were whopped and my daily schedule is whopped. thank god I don't have to make bowls

amanda...
I know...when she said that to me...i went home and thought, my goodness...how simple is that?

Anonymous said...

Missy--yoga is hard, let me tell you. Balance in life is also hard, no matter what you do or where you are at in your life. Balance, or I'm told, comes from strengthening the core so that your power comes from there. If I ever learn how to do that, I'll get back to you on it. Namaste...Sara O.

v8grrl said...

Sara...
thank you...it is a goal for me. My core is strong yet my inner balance is off...I really believe it is mental at this point...
but yet I continue to work on my core strength in hopes of finding the balance
m