Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Nursing Refresher

Clinical practice today. In a few weeks I hit the floor as an RN in training.
It's scaring the shit outta of me, so if there is anyone that has or is going through this, please comment me some good vibes.
I realized today, in class, I haven't actually done ANY of the stuff on a real person...I mean, sure I've given a bed bath. I've changed some bandages, placed a catheter...with another RN standing right next to me. This stuff is weird to do. You have to touch penises, vaginas, clean open wounds...make people feel safe and ok when you are a little wary. When someone is dying, you have to stay calm, hit the buttons, get help, and start the procedures without freaking out the family that my be standing right there.
You can't turn around an start screaming,
"He's Going Downhill...FAST....HELPPPPPPP!!!"
No one wants to hear that in the hospital. Just like you have to remember you cant say,

"Everything is going to be ok."

Because many times it's not going to be ok.
It's not TV...It's a real person and I can barely stay calm when my own kids hurt themselves. ( I have heard this is normal)
....nothing is normal in my life right now.
NG tube...ear to nose to Xyphoid process...clean not sterile.
head forward swallow.
choke choke=lungs...remove
etc etc
(fatmandy flikr site)

see what I mean...it sucks



good thing I wore my fancy red corduroys today...
because on top of everything else
i started my period in my pants.
perfect start to the day

7 comments:

miss. chief said...

hahahaha "i have started my period in my pants"

v8grrl said...

yea, real funny
;)
v8

Mint Julep said...

You get to touch penis girl! It can't be that bad! ;)

I have no advice :(

Lapetitemort said...

You can do it!!! You are my inspiration and motivation girl!!

Penises?! Just don't pull a Glen Close in "The World According to Garp" gooooddd ;p

justjp said...

3 things always got me through.

1) Their emergency is not your emergency. If you get sucked in, you will go down with them.

2) Trust your instincts. If you feel something is wrong, it probably is.

3) You stethoscope will be your best weapon, especially when jamming tubes down the hatch.

But above all, don't worry, its called practicing medicine for a reason.

Cindy said...

I just want to say, I don't know how you medical professionals do it. But thank God for you!

And... yay for the red cords.

xo

v8grrl said...

JP...

good advice...i printed it and stuck it on my med surg notebook at school

you are the best
:)