Tuesday, September 22, 2009

can't sleep

morning time...my favorite. This morning I thought it would be much better if I could have slept in. But no chance. I got Bobby up at 430 am then tried my hardest to cover my head with blankets and pillows and go back to sleep, but nada.
I got up and worked out my arms with Jackie (dvd), had some coffee, and thought about running....I came to my senses at the running idea.

Classes are going ok. Just super time consuming. The 2 people who sit behind me work at my hospital on Ortho Nueuro as LPN's doing actual floor work. They told me to go talk to their Director, they are always short staffed. So, I emailed her from work and she said to come see her today. She needs someone to work nights. My friends tell me nights are awesome. More pay, great time to learn and less hectic....so why do I get so scared of everything. I mean the goal is to become a nurse right? BINGO...Everyone fears a bit of change, so I'm hoping the anxiety is normal...but I would love to be able to take a floor job, learn the ropes, and be able to walk into an RN job when I graduate. After Saturday at the Long Term Care place, I'm just not sure how much longer I can do that job. I had 28 residents!!!!! That is like babysitting,feeding,caregiving etc,etc for 28 preschoolers and infants combined...I'll give you a moment to picture it in your head....
see what I mean? plus there was a death, it was before my shift, but he was still in the bed waiting for the mortuary for the first part of my shift.

So night time shifts....7p to 7a...vampire hours. Does any one work them? Any suggestions? The good thing is 3 shifts and it is full time.

Today...behavior health clinicals. Well tonight. I work at the hospital doing my regular job until 3pm then I go up to the locked ward and work from 3p to 11p...the cuckoos nest. I'll let ya now how it goes.

6 comments:

k said...

Olive is pretty close to bedtime by then isn't she? And 3 days - that would be very nice.

Mint Julep said...

I was an industrial hygienist for a few years and I worked the night shift (6-6) occasionally. I thought it sucked, but I did it 7 days a week for a month at a time. My brother and a friend of mine are nurses and they work the night shift and like it. I say give it a try.

justjp said...

7p-7 a is the best shift ever. You get more money and less people to harass you. Remember all the suits sleep at night.

Lapetitemort said...

Not in healthcare, but i used to work 8:00pm-8:00am then head to classes. It was a good time to get homework done. =)

I would jump! Great in for an RN job like you said. I understand the fear of change too. And my hubbin' did a short stint at one of those facilities when he was younger (CNA); he said it was super depressing.

<3

v8grrl said...

thanks you guys...i'm gonna go talk to her right now

xooxxo
v8

Lapetitemort said...

soooooo????