Saturday, January 16, 2010

Embarrasing for a Mother

My daughter is 5 1/2, defiant, sassy, smart, and we are having issues that we desperately need help with. I'm going to take the blame right up front. I'm not the greatest parent, I do what I can, but I'm pretty sure it's not enough.
Olive has started wetting her pants, bed, and whatever else. Last night was the last straw for me. After doing her laundry for the 4 th time this week(bedsheets and all) she peed on my bed. I understand it is for negative attention.... But how do I get it to stop? I blew my top. She got a spanking . I feel horrible and on top of that nothing is going to stop this way. I threatened to make her wear diapers 24/7...but the more I think about it.. She wouldn't care. Can someone please help me?

4 comments:

one of many said...

Are you sure she doesn't have a bladder infection? If not have you asked her why she thinks it's happening? So if it seems it's for negative attention, then the experts would suggest reinforcing positive behaviors perhaps both bathroom and non bathroom related and ignoring the behavior that wish to extinguish. When I dealt with this with the autistic kids I used to work with we were very matter fact in our response to the accident and very matter of fact without emotion insisted the children take responsibility by participating in cleaning up the mess. Perhaps Olive could be taught to remove her bedding/clothes and put in the washer as well as making her own bed? Or just tell her Auntie Cynthia who she never met is going to come over and sit on her and you don't want that cause she's got a really wide ass!

Small Town Mutha said...

You're not alone. We dealt with this with our son and I know several other families that have as well. I think more than anything it's just a matter of time-growing out of it, but perhaps you could limit her liquid intake after a certain hour and then maybe also wake her before you hit the sack for one last run to the bathroom. If it truly is negative attention she's looking for-don't give it t her. Good luck. I know how frustrating this is.

v8grrl said...

thanks you guys...
she doesn't have a UTI...she is not peeing frequently...just at will when she is angry

I have switched to positive reinforcement and we are 3 days dry...plus the fact whe DOES not want to wear diapers to school

Small Town Mutha said...

Wow, she sounds a little like my cat. :)
Glad to hear things are looking up.