Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Eggplant Rollatini? Not a cocktail


Last night I attempted a Giada Recipe
I have found that although she is very easy on the eyes her recipes don't usually taste that great. Which is a bummer because whenever she tastes her own food she really appears to be enjoying it.
We tried
Eggplant Rollatini
My friend Justine, who owns a fabulous restaurant here in
Longmont called the Sugar Beet ,
(they grow all their own food),
brought me a bushel of veggies from their organic garden and I wanted to use up the eggplant first.
I jimmied around with the recipe and instead of making it rollups I did a layered lasagna type thing.  

Here's what you need:





  • Sea salt and black pepper
  • 1 large eggplant
  • 6 no cook lasagna strips
  • Can vegetable spray
  • 16 oz ricotta
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
  • 8 tablespoons grated Parmesan
  • 3 tablespoons toasted pine nuts
  • 20 basil leaves, chiffonaded
  • Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
  • 2 cups fresh tomato sauce,...whatever you have

  • Preheat oven to 375 

  • Slice the eggplant and lay on a rack.  Sprinkle sea salt on both sides to pull out the bitterness.  Leave on for about 15 minutes (just long enough to throw in a load of laundry and grab yourself a cocktail)
  • Rinse the salt off the eggplant and pat dry with paper towel.
  • I cooked my eggplant on the grill, but you could use a grill pan.
  • Coat the eggplant with olive or veggie oil. 


  
I really coated mine because it seems to suck up the oil.  Grill on each side for about 4 minutes or until tender.
let cool a bit on a plate while you get the rest ready.
mix in a bowl the ricotta ,2 eggs, salt and pepper,pine nuts and the basil...however much you like.  
Add in some mozzarella and parmesan.
Now, I used some canned sauce (SHHHH, I was in a hurry and no one really cares).
start layering it up like lasagna.  I used a 9x9 square cooking pyrex, seemed to work perfect.
layer anyway you choose....free form baby!
I topped mine with sauce and a bit of bread crumbs.
now throw it in the oven covered with foil for 40 minutes
take foil off and bake for an additional 10 minutes to brown up the top a bit.
let sit,
maybe whip up a salad, have another cocktail and get ready for the kids to complain about eggplant.



Here's the review:
Dad: wouldn't touch, made a steak
Olive 6:  ate around the eggplant said eggplant is mushy
Ilin 13: ate it, kindly said it was pretty good, but definitely didn't have seconds OR request it for lunch tomorrow.
Me:  I'll eat anything.   It wasn't bad...wasn't great, but you have to like eggplant.

2 comments:

Lapetitemort said...

She's so skinny that I've always thought she went and threw up after every scene that she had to take a bite.

That looks good! I'll have to try it at some point.

v8grrl said...

you know what else? her head is big "Grande Cabasa"
looks like one of the Ants from "bugs life" or something