Thursday, April 7, 2011

Broken Heart Syndrome...its real

Who would have thought it was real??

Takotsubo

About 70-80% of cases of Tako-tsubo Syndrome (TTS) occur in post-menopausal women under some form of extreme, exceptional and prolonged mental stress,... with no good way out, no relief and often feeling deep resentment.

I trained on the Telemetry floor yesterday.  (heart/cardiac)
Usually when you train, you train with someone...but yesterday, they were a bit busy, so the Charge Nurse said, "you can handle it.  I'll be your 'go to person'.  You take this lil ol lady, nothing really wrong with her, she just thinks she's having a heart attack"
OK...
I can handle it, I am a nurse.  I think quick on my feet.  I can wipe an ass just like the rest of them.

My patient:
83 year old lady...having chest pain, weighs 72 pounds with rocks in her pockets.
This patient did have an underlying problem.  She had an Aortic Aneurysm .  But that was not her real problem.
Her real problem was Takotsubo...the broken heart syndrome.
Saddest thing I've heard in a while.
She has a husband...He's 88, she's 83...She just had heart surgery 3 weeks ago they (the son) arranged for her to have a bit of home care after the surgery, where they come in and help you with meals or laundry...anything really...for a few hours a week.
The husband said NO...GET THEM OUT.
She told me, with tears in her eyes, "I need some help, I can't do everything anymore and he won't let anyone help me....I'm going to die."
Then she proceeded to tell me how she was a direct descendent of Queen Elizabeth and was invited to her arrival party when she came to the US a few years back.  Gilded invitation and everything....and her bastard hubby said, "If you go you won't have a house when you come back" .  That was when she was in her late 70's.
They have been married for 45 years.

She's dying of a broken heart...
It's not rocket science
It's common sense.

No comments: