Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Veggie Pot Pies with Olive (the kid)

 So we decided to make some good hearty food for the -1 degree weather we finally got here in Colorado.  It was cold and I wanted Pot Pie.  I wanted the kind that comes in the cardboard box from when I was young.  The peas were bright green and the carrots unnaturally orange, but to me….ohhhh so good.
I searched for recipes but most were meat, or vegetarian and way too complicated, I mean, I don't want bok choy or fennel in my pot pie.  I just want yummy, thick, burn your mouth pot pie.
I took the best recipes I could find and used the basics then went ol' free form on it.
Here's the pics…(the recipe will be below)

 Get your stuff together.  Fresh chopped, but feel free to use frozen…I'm not eating it, you are.

Saute, have the kids help…more likely to eat/try it.

This looks like…well, I'm guessing if you are still reading this you know what it looks like.
It taste good, I swear.

Olive..helping.

 Make your own crust if you want, but I had 2 in the freezer.
Each pie crust (cut one…ball up and re roll) makes 2 tops.

Plop them on…brush some cream/milk on top
they don't need to be perfect…they are "rustic"
Don't forget to poke holes

Done…and HOT.mmmmmm

Recipe (give or take)  
3 large carrots chopped
3 potatoes cubed 
1 Cup frozen peas 
1 onion chopped
2 stalks celery chopped
1 container of button mushrooms
(feel free to use whatever you want, but this is POT PIE NORMAL)
1 box (15 oz) veggie broth
3 T. flour
Butter (yes butter)
Milk or cream
2 frozen pie shells thawed but kept cool in fridge.
sage, thyme, salt  and pepper
white vinegar

preheat oven to 350
use dutch oven or heavy bottomed sauce pot
Add butter, let melt.  add onion, sautee until translucent.  add celery and carrots, sautee for about 5 minutes until cooked al dente.  Add mushrooms and potatoes.  Now add the flour and 3T butter stir over medium heat for about a minute or so, turn the heat down if you need to.  Don't burn the flour!  just cook it until it gets kind of gloppy and coats everything.  Don't panic, It looks bad but just keep going.
 At this point I added enough veggie broth to make it look like filling.  I believe I used the entire box.  
The broth will start to thicken due to the flour.  I then added about a 1/2 C of milk/cream.
as the filling cooks it should thicken.  If it thickens too much add more milk or broth or water, watever you have.  Turn the heat down to low and add the peas….mmmmm peas. 
Now season with the seasonings to taste.  Please taste it.  Your tongue will know what it needs.
It should look about like that gross picture up there.
I turned the heat off and let it sit.

I had 4 new bowls I got from Target Home section at $1.37 a piece on sale.  They were a little big for the average kid, but Ilin, Bobby and I thought it was an ok size.  they probably hold 2 cups.

Throw what ever oven proof container over the pie shell, cut out with about an inch extra. Set aside.  Do this for all 4 dishes.  I had to re roll the dough and cut again.
Put the dishes on a cookie sheet to save you a mess.
Take a ladle and put the filling into each cup.  I left about 3/4 inch from the top.  Put the crusts on top of each dish and pinch it at the top, around the bowl edge.  Be fancy if you want, but these little buggers are impressive no matter what you do.  
brush with a little bit of milk (makes them shiny)
Poke holes in top for venting.  I put each persons initial on theirs.
cook for 45 minutes.
Take out and let sit for 10-15 minutes
Enjoy!
(be careful, they are atomic hot)
have a salad on the side to balance.

PS: if you want to make these vegen…I don't know.  sorry  If you want to add meat.  add rotisserie chicken or precooked chicken.  ( I did that for Bobby)

write ya later 
m

spread the love





No comments: