I used to do a picture a day....I'm not sure I can anymore because my life is pretty non picturesque ...but I'm starting today
2/4/19
This is a knitted sock I have been working on forever . I’m starting to think this sock is a metaphor for my life and current situation.
It's a sock, the colors are not great, there is nothing super special about it, it has taken forever to get to the point it's at, and the more I look at it, the more I realize that even if I finish it, I most likely will not make another one.
Unless ..... unless this turns out better than expected.
The funny thing is that I always, well, 98% of the time, finish things, even if it is not good. I have friends who quit, friends who rip things out and friends who just stuff it away in a drawer. All of those are viable answers, but for me, I have to see things through.
This sock contains many mistakes, each one I learned from.
I can see multiple just looking at that picture right there. Because I'm not done, I'm sure there will be more mistakes and lessons to learn in the near future with this ugly sock....
but I'll finish it....I've put quite a bit of effort into it all ready.
Hopefully when I am done, I will be able to know the mistakes I made, and will have learned how to not make those mistakes again, or at least as badly...
and when it's time to knit another sock....
it may not be perfect, but it will be better.
It's a guarantee, because I do pay attention.
I learned this about myself. I'm a pain in the ass, and I often have been guilty of not following the pattern. This often causes problems, misunderstandings and dropped stitches. But it is honestly nothing that cannot be corrected with a little time, patience, sometimes some help from a friend or two, an occasional discussion, maybe a bit of a reworking and then some good old self forgiveness that you fucked it up by not following the directions or knitting rules.
I have a friend , Ashley ( I like to call her lovingly, Snatchly)... she says to me, "the pattern is just a suggested guide, you only learn by veering off a little bit once in a while....happy little mistakes"
happy little mistakes.
( I think she got that from Bob Ross)
( from Etsy.com somewhere)
There have only been a few knitting projects I absolutely hated and pulled apart in despair.
I destroyed them....
yup, my fault entirely...
Frustrated and confused with the most simple projects, I destroyed them, and there was no fixing them.
As sad as it is to have wasted all that beautiful yarn and time, sometimes you just can't go back and reknit it anymore. The yarn is too stretched or bumped and becomes ugly and just won't work. It is never as pretty as it should have been.
Maybe the best thing to do is, not throw it away, but to carefully unknit it....rinse it in cool water, ball it all up nicely and give it to someone who can take the time to appreciate it again and make it work.
Really make it work.
It's only fair.
The last bit about that sock up there, and all the other socks I have tried and failed so miserably;
I can't be mad at myself. No one is ever that great at something new. It takes practice, and stupid mistakes happen, like forgetting to count the stitches and place the important markers right where they need to be so you don't get off track.
Just remember, you can do better with practice and a little help from friends, and youTube.
and don't give up.
It's only a sock, a tiny part if your life.
write ya later,
xo,
m
I really do love you
What would you think if i sang out of tune,
would you stand up and walk out on me?
lend me your ears and i'll sing you a song
and i'll try not to sing out of key.
Oh, i get by with a little help from my friends
mm, i get high with a little help from my friends
mm, gonna try with a little help from my friends
What do i do when my love is away
(does it worry you to be alone?)
how do i feel by the end of the day,
(are you sad because you're on your own?)
No, i get by with a little help from my friends
mm, i get high with a little help from my friends
mm, gonna try with a little help from my friends
Do you need anybody
i need somebody to love
could it be anybody
i want somebody to love.
Would you believe in a love at first sight
yes, i'm certain that it happens all the time
what do you see when you turn out the light
i can't tell you but i know it's mine,
Oh, i get by with a little help from my friends
mm, i get high with a little help from my friends
mm, gonna try with a little help from my friends
Do you need anybody
i just need someone to love
could it be anybody
i want somebody to love.
Oh, i get by with a little help from my friends
with a little help from my friends.
would you stand up and walk out on me?
lend me your ears and i'll sing you a song
and i'll try not to sing out of key.
Oh, i get by with a little help from my friends
mm, i get high with a little help from my friends
mm, gonna try with a little help from my friends
What do i do when my love is away
(does it worry you to be alone?)
how do i feel by the end of the day,
(are you sad because you're on your own?)
No, i get by with a little help from my friends
mm, i get high with a little help from my friends
mm, gonna try with a little help from my friends
Do you need anybody
i need somebody to love
could it be anybody
i want somebody to love.
Would you believe in a love at first sight
yes, i'm certain that it happens all the time
what do you see when you turn out the light
i can't tell you but i know it's mine,
Oh, i get by with a little help from my friends
mm, i get high with a little help from my friends
mm, gonna try with a little help from my friends
Do you need anybody
i just need someone to love
could it be anybody
i want somebody to love.
Oh, i get by with a little help from my friends
with a little help from my friends.


No comments:
Post a Comment