Today at clinicals, I cried. I wept. I feared. I hid. I was OK.
I had a breakdown, because everyone was getting to do "fun" stuff (this is what we call stuff other than vital signs for us baby nurses)but I wasn't getting that experience. I was getting a great experience on my side, but then I started thinking "what if I never get to do an IV? I told my instructor and she was so awesome. She said, "come on, get the other girls I'm going to gather some stuff and YOU are going to do an IV" . In school we are not allowed to practice on each other and let me tell you the skin is soooo different then a plastic arm which has been stuck 72 billion times. She took us into the side room, put everything on the table and rolled up her sleeve and said here's my arm. Do it.
????? I got my stuff together and did it...I missed the vein...actually I got the vein, but went right thru (don't laugh it happens) Then we all got a hold of each others arms and practiced. It was awesome. only one of us got an actual HIT, but we all know what it feel like now. I just need to practice and possibly grow another arm....so I can practice on myself, but it was great. I feel sooo lucky to have gotten Dianne as an instructor...
So Doug, if you are reading this...nannny nanny doodoo....:)
write you later.
xo,
m
ps,
wheres synda?
No comments:
Post a Comment