Sunday, December 7, 2008

I'm embarrassed


Why?
I ran into the Apple store a few days ago to pick up a few things. I love this store for this one reason. You open the big glass doors and there is a non threatening smiling Apple Elf waiting to help you. This is exactly what I encountered as I opened the doors. A nice young man says, "HI! What can I help you with ?" I tell him EXACTLY what I want and he smiles and says,"No Problem, Chance will help you with that", and he points down the overly lit row to a nice looking young Rasta with big beads around his neck...who immediately smiles and waves to me. It's like iAngels directing these guys around. I trot over to him and he repeats what I want and I tell him that's it. No upsell, nothing...sweet....i love it. BUT what does happen is the unusual case of small talk I'm not used to.
I'm a talker and pride myself in talking to anyone at anytime, but when this young man says to me," hey did you know there is still pirates?" I gave it a quick thought and kind of said, "yeah, but I don't do that...my other half is a musician." I began to sweat that weird sweat, uncomfortable sweat. He had that look on his face like "Sister, what are you yappin about?"


(???? Pirates...like this?...think think)


I smiled...
"No...Pirates in Somalia." he says.
Oh...yeah Somalia...uh huh, fumble for something intelligent, even though I listened to NPR this morning and probably could recite the entire show about Pirates.

I don't like my Apple people to talk to me. It throws me off. I always prejudge myself and get thrown a loop when someone actually talks intelligently to me. I do a George Costanza..."you talking to me? (good looking young man? about something real?)" Lord.

"oh yeah, I listened to that this morning...Pretty cool how they hold whatever for ransom and then get what they want." (stupid thing to say, myssi...that IS what pirates do....that is why they call it Pirating)
He smiles..."I like Pirates..." (now that is what I'm talking about, that is what I expect to come from my Apple guy)
"Yeah, I like them too... Maybe we need shirts that say 'I support Pirates.....in Somalia' "
He smiled, handed me my stuff and said...."I like that. You're cool."

Shew...Close one, I almost couldn't pull it off....you know being almost 40, talking to some hip youngster about NPR and almost sounding like Bono. Jeesus. Thank god I made it outta there before I pitted out my "EAT MORE GREENS" T-shirt.

I really shouldn't prejudge everyone...what they may say and the fact that, hey, some youngsters may actually speak to me, not like their mom...it always throws me.

No comments: