Tuesday, January 6, 2009

My own private Idaho


I revel in the beauty that my kids are sleepers. Narcoleptic to be exact. It's an amazing thing.
I have never had to deal with a screaming child as I request for the 20th time that there is no more water in the faucet and that the closet has been checked for the Boogie man so many times he got sick of hiding. I've hardly even had a small child crawl into bed with me in the middle of the night; it's actually quite bizarre the more I think about it.
Ilin was the first in the fine line of narcoleptics, although my mom would have said I was the first in line. He napped through kindergarten. Friends would ask me how I get him to nap at age 6. "he just does it"...This is the child who has no regard for personal space, cocktails, or your expensive meal when the narcolepsy hits. One minute upright....the next, facedown on the table. When I first met Bobby, he would shake his head in disbelief as the kid would slump, slide and be under the restaraunt table in a blink of an eye. The child is now turning 12 and he is the kid who has never made it through an all night sleepover. He says he often wakes covered in pillows and chairs, but that's ok....it's still fun. Fun for who, I wonder? His sister is following in his footsteps. 4.7 minutes into any caride, even if it involves driving 3 blocks to the grocery, the kid is asleep. Head bobbed to the side, drool, and little cooing noises. Narcolepsy, I'm telling you. I love it.
Here's my night: The clock rounds to 8 pm. Olive has her PJ's on, has actually had them on since 520 (kid loves her PJ's), and I say...hey, it's about time to get to bed. O: OK Mammoo, I'll go potty, get my pullup and I'll see ya upstairs. hmmmmmmm yes, see that? no arguing, no questions...nothing. 820 I go upstairs, walk into the room and the reading light is all ready off, books strewn around the bed and little snores coming from her cute little mouth. This is a 4 year old! How sweet is that? As I leave the room Ilin says, I'm going to bed too. Sleep my angels...sleep.
My life is good....here in my own private Idaho

3 comments:

Cajun Girl Living In The Mountains said...

You are one lucky lady!

twelvekindsofcrazy said...

Wow. I'm jealous. My baby is anti-nap, anti-bedtime, anti-sleep...

Anonymous said...

I am SO JEALOUS right now. We're in a bad sleep place at the moment :(